Complete these steps as soon as you've confirmed your intent to enroll.

Confirm Your Intent to Enroll

If you have not already let us know that you will be attending CU Ƶ and paid the $200 enrollment deposit you may do so on your .Students are not permitted to register if the university has not received the deposit. Confirmation deposits are only refunded to students upon graduation or official withdrawal from CU Ƶ within established dates and procedures; the deposit is non-refundable if you decide to not enroll/register.

Submit Official Transcripts

If you receive an offer of admission and confirm your intent to enroll, you will be required to submit your official transcript(s) to Graduate Admissions. Official transcripts must match the unofficial ones that were submitted with your application. Electronic official transcripts are accepted as long as they are sent directly from the issuing institution. Electronic transcripts should be sent to with the exception of the Master's in Teacher Leadership students who should submit them to Copies of transcripts mailed in unsealed envelopes and sent directly by applicants are NOT official transcripts. Please do not have these sent until a ھԲofficial transcript is available - including all graded coursework and degree with graduation date.

More on Submitting Official Transcripts

Activate Your IdentiKey

If you have not done so already, activate your IdentiKey. It is important that you set your IdentiKey password and remember it. It is your key to apply for housing, sign up for New Student & Family Programs and register for classes. A U.S. Social Security Number is required to activate an IdentiKey. If you do not have one, the Office of Information Technology (OIT) will email you a four-digit personal identification number (PIN) to use instead. If you do not receive your PIN within five business days of confirming your intent to enroll, contact OIT at to request your PIN. Your IdentiKey will also allow you to log in to the , which is your secure entry point for CU Ƶ online services and information that you need as a student. It typically takes three to five business days for your IdentiKey activation to be completed before you can access the housing application.

Activate Your CU Ƶ Email

Email is an official means for campus communication—campus departments and faculty will use it to relay important information to you. Moving forward, all emails will be sent to your account. You must activate your IdentiKey before you can create your email account.

Register for Classes

Registration for incoming graduate students begins in late April (for fall admits) or late November (for spring admits). If you have confirmed your intent to enroll after April or November, you will need to wait 2-3 days before your confirmation deposit is fully processed, after which your access to Buff Portal is activated for registration.

Once you have secured your IdentiKey and password, and you have reviewed the information on how to register for classes, go to Buff Portal's  (you may be prompted to log in). Select the upcoming semester from the "Select Term" drop-down menu at the top of the card to view your enrollment start time (Mountain Time).Once you have determined your registration date and time, you can begin searching for classes.

Please contact your graduate program advisor or administrator if you have questions regarding which classes to take.

Fulfill the Health Insurance Requirement

All students are required to have health insurance while attending CU Ƶ. Students may elect coverage through an individual health insurance plan, through a family member or employer or the CU Gold Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Students must meet this requirement their first semester at CU Ƶ and at the beginning of each academic year. Those taking six (6) or more undergraduate credit hours or one (1) or more graduate credit hours are required to complete the health insurance requirement process. More information on student health insurance.


All new students must complete the immunization requirements by the deadline according to their first semester at CU Ƶ. More information on the immunization requirement.

Spouse & Dependent Coverage

At this time, CU Ƶ student health insurance does not cover spouses and dependents. Wardenburg Health Services refers all students looking for spouse and dependent insurance coverage to the Colorado Health Exchange. From there, you can browse plans and find resources for health insurance in Colorado.

Submit a Photo for Your Buff OneCard

Your Buff OneCard is your student ID card and your key to many different services and events, including dining, printing, banking. Plan ahead and submit an application and valid photo online, and when you arrive on campus you can quickly pick up your card and get moving, rather than waiting in line. Visit the for deadlines, applications and instructions.

Additional Pre-Arrival Steps for International Students

Important:  If you are an F-1 or J-1 student, please take note of your program start date. All F-1/J-1 students MUST arrive no later than the program start date which is reflected on your I-20/DS-2019. Note:  You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days prior to this date.

Read the CU Ƶ Graduate Student Bill of Rights & Responsibilities.

Know your rights and your responsibilities. Familiarize yourself with the CU Ƶ Graduate Student Bill of Rights & Responsibilities.

Log-on to Buff Portal to Pay Bill, Check Financial Aid Status & View Your Schedule

The will provide you with your course schedule, classroom locations, financial aid status and your bill. While your tuition bill will be due around the time that courses start, please note that your first payment from a research or teaching appointment generally is not available until a month into the semester.

Find Housing

CU Ƶ offers limited on-campus housing to graduate students and their families, as well as services to help you find off-campus housing in the area. The local rental market can be a challenge, so begin looking at housing options today.

Housing Information

Childcare Resources

The CU Ƶ Children's Center offers childcare options for children of CU affiliates 2.5 - 5 years of age.In addition, graduate students who are also employees have access to Bright Horizons Care Advantage, which includes preferred enrollment at certain childcare centers and a free Sittercity membership. Childcare services in Ƶ have long wait lists; it’s a good idea to arrange for childcare now.

Explore Childcare Options

Ask Your Department Important Questions

Essential Questions

  • Who is my advisor?
  • Can I switch advisors?
  • Are there sequential course requirements I need to be aware of in order to complete my degree on time?
  • What semesters are required courses offered?
  • Does my department offer teaching, research, or grading opportunities for students?
  • How can I become eligible for these positions?
  • Are there any upcoming department events or activities?
  • How do I find out about them?
  • When is my department's graduate student orientation?

Additional Questions

  • Does my department maintain an email list server for students?
  • Do I have an office or a department mailbox?
  • Where are they located?
  • Do I have department copy privileges?
  • Where is the nearest location to make copies?
  • Does the department offer independent study courses?
  • How do I set up an independent study course?
  • Where can I find the department graduate student handbook?
  • Who are the graduate students I could contact for advice on coursework, teaching, or the program requirements?
  • Are there any department clubs, internships, or professional societies?
  • Are there any exchange or summer programs that support my degree?
  • What academic centers/programs are going to be the most useful to me?
  • Does the department support travel expenses for conferences or research?
  • What are some common certificate programs for students in this department?
  • What opportunities does the department offer in the summer?
  • Am I allowed to switch disciplines?
  • Is there a foreign language requirement? If so, how do I satisfy it?
  • Who do I contact in the department about payroll?

Attend Community Equity Training

To educate our community and create a welcoming and safe campus environment, the Ƶ requires all new students, staff and faculty to complete education on policies prohibiting Sexual Misconduct, Discrimination and Harassment. The Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance (OIEC) provides education about these policies. The online training can be accessed through OIEC’s website. Click on the “Mandatory Training for Graduate Students” tab.

Establish Colorado Residency for In-State Tuition

If you do not already qualify for in-state tuition, you can become eligible after one full year of living in Colorado. To qualify for in-state tuition you must complete a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification. The petition requires proof of residence in Colorado for the entire year, such as a signed lease, as well as documentation that you have registered to vote, obtained a Colorado driver’s license, registered your vehicle and filed Colorado state income taxes. For more information on the process, visit the . For general information on vehicle registration, obtaining a driver's licence, etc., visit . Visit the Ƶ DMV to obtain a Colorado license, register your vehicle and register to vote!

Ƶ DMV Office
2850 Iris Ave., #F
Ƶ, CO 80301 (Northeast end of 28th and Diagonal Plaza)

Attend the Center for Teaching & Learning Fall Intensive

The Center for Teaching & Learning (CTL) supports the development of graduate students as teaching scholars.The CTL sponsors a range of programs that enable educators to make sustained inquiries into teaching and learning. These programs bring educators together from across campus in order to foster the exchange of ideas and practices.Visit the Center for Teaching & Learning website to learn more about CTL programming